Thursday, July 7, 2011

The BBC Takeover




Chris and I have a dirty little secret. We dont like to broadcast it very often, because we try not to alienate the remaining friends we have. Our dirty secret is that we never fight. Ever. Not once has a voice been raised, a bad name been called, or an item been thrown (with the intent to harm).

Before you go getting any crazy ideas about how it's because we're 'meant for each other' or some other equally ridiculous theory, let me tell you why. We have Very Different ideas about A Lot of Things, including the hot button stuff like politics and religion. We listen to different music, and different ideas about what constitutes a clean house and whose job is to clean it up. Through all of this, our home remains peaceful because he and I are both far too lazy to fight about anything. Yup, that's right, friends. The secret to a happy home is laziness. You're welcome.

That being said, there is one bone of contention in the house that will cause raised eyebrows and gnashing of teeth. I'm talking about the remote control. A completely innocuous object whose sole purpose in life is to have too many buttons that any human can properly utilize. It's quite possible that we have opposable thumbs simply for channel surfing.

Chris's programs of choice are movies. Movies, movies, and more movies. Good ones, mediocre ones, and the very very bad ones. Movies all the time. If he could, he would watch the same film twice in one weekend. I, on the other hand, enjoy quality TV programs like 16 & Pregnant, Hoarders, and Intervention. Before you judge me too harshly, let me just say that I think of those shows as educational. They remind me that no, I do not want to get knocked up again. I do not want to live in a pig sty. And I really dont want to turn my life into a hot mess by self medicating. He really should thank me, instead of whining about my TV selections.

Possession of the remote control in our house is serious business. It's more than just a power play, more than a reminder of who's boss. It's a tool that can make one's partner miserable or get them to do a chore. "Oh, you dont want to finish the drywall in the hall? I understand. We'll watch the weekend long marathon of Golden Girls instead. It's quality time we can spend together, honey." Mmmm delicious. I love this little remote control. Yes, yes I do. *kiss kiss*

The first year of our lives together, the remote control became a symbol of greatness to us. I'm not entirely sure how our relationship survived. Probably the same laziness that keeps us from fighting in the first place. Which leads me to the title of our blog. We realized that the BBC was broadcasting across the pond. Not only that, everything on it we both enjoy (to a certain degree).

We're both hooked on Top Gear. If you havent seen it, really, you need too. Do it now. I'm sure you can hulu it or something. When you come back we can discuss the rest of it.



After Top Gear, we watch a lot of Kitchen Nightmares. It's not that we like Gordon Ramsey. We just really enjoy watching him tell whomever that they're morons. We can both get on board with that. Next comes reruns of the early season of X-Files. And lastly, we have Dr. Who. Chris has loved the last two seasons. I, personally, only tolerate them. I enjoy the newest Dr. Who and his bow tie but I can never figure out what's going on. Amy isnt really Amy? Rory is a ...what? I dont get it. Chris winds up explaining far too much of the plot line too me which isnt a fun experience for either of us. So I gave up trying to figure out what the hell was going on and watch it for the one-liners.

I think I want to move to England. Not for any profound reason, except that everything sounds better over there. They have better slang, like whinging, loo and bollocks. Even when being crass or swearing, it's music to my ears. The comedy's better, too. Why else would I watch a show about cars? Yes, yes, I think I want to move to England.

No comments:

Post a Comment