Sunday, July 3, 2011

The Bigfoot of Frogs




One evening I was sitting outside on the front porch. All was calm until I heard something bang against the aluminum bottom of our porch. Certain it was one of the stray cats misbehaving, I ignored the noise. Then, around the corner came a giant frog. She hopped square into the doorway and we both had a moment of surprise. It was clear that neither one of us was expecting the other. She was huge. At least 6" tall and as big around. But she was pretty. Beautiful even, and I'm certain that she is a she because she has eyelashes. Now, I know what you are going to say, that frogs dont have eyelashes but I will reject your reality and substitute my own. My frog has eyelashes. If you want a frog without eyelashes, that's your business.

Being a person that enjoys the technology that today's world has to offer I immediately pulled out my cell phone to snap a few photos. Unsurprisingly, the battery was too low to load the camera function. I stood, intending to go into the house and return with a real camera. Evidently the frog knew what I was about and she turned, every so clumsily, and hopped away, banging again into the porch frame as she made her egress. For weeks as I told the tale of my beautiful frog, I had no photographic evidence to back up my wild story. I knew she wasnt a bullfrog. I've seen them before, and they are ugly. And also very noisy. Neither of which are accurate descriptors of my little beauty. Everyone I told the story to regarded me with disbelief and mockery.

Everyone except Chris, that is. He listened patiently through many hours of useless chatter, such as follows:
"Where do you think she lives?" (Around.)
"I bet she was hungry. Maybe we should feed her." (She has plenty to eat, we're in Florida, the land of the exceptionally large insects.)
"Maybe she's lonely." (I'm pretty sure that isnt the case.)
"Well, why dont we go frogging? Maybe we could find her, then." (No.)

Last eve, Chris had trouble going to sleep. We stepped outside very late into the night and lo and behold, there was Nessie! Smack in the middle of our porch with no quick means of escape. I made a gleeful sound and Chris said, "Wow, that is a big frog." I was so happy to see her I stood there, struck again by her powerful presence. Chris prodded me into action, telling me to go get the camera which I dutifully did. When I came back out she was still in her same resting spot in the middle of the porch. I suppose she was paralyzed by Chris's amazing magnetism, as I often am.

I snap off a few shots, but the light from the camera flash agitated her and she took off.

Me: "I want her! Catch her for me."
Him: .... (Silence usually means he's trying to gauge the seriousness of my intent and think up ways to talk me out of whatever notion has flown into my head.)
Me: "We could catch her and feed her and keep her in a terrarium and stuff."
Him: "I think I could go to sleep now."

He gently steered me back into the house and without further ado, here is NESSIE!


No comments:

Post a Comment