Thursday, July 14, 2011

Reading Rainbow

Small victory for LeVar Burton and myself. I have mentioned previously the reading materials that Christine prefers: Books with titles like Naked in the Nude, The Throbbening, Sausage Night at the Sizzler, The Seduction of Helen Keller, Meat Patrol, The Pirate's Full Mast, etc. In the past I have gotten her to read the collective works of Tim Dorsey (which I highly recommend for their accurate portrayal of Florida's insanity), and she is familiar with the works of Douglas Adams.

When I get home from work, which is after 10:00pm, I will usually stay awake for about 5 minutes the want to go lay down and read. I've started reading the Fletch series, which is brilliant. Anyway, she had recently finished reading Sex Jungle 3: Turgid Glistening, and was looking for something else to read. I handed her my copy of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, which is also brilliant, and told her to read it. Her response?

"Ok, but if I wake up screaming about zombies again, it's your fault."

If you haven't read ALVH, then you're missing out on a beautifully woven piece of historical fiction that merges the biography of Abraham Lincoln with a story of vampires and how they influenced the birth of America. Written by Seth Grahame-Smith, who also blessed us with Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Once she finishes this, I will bring home my Pirates! series from work. Short but also brilliant.

For the record, I did not mean this to be a huge book advert. I'm simply proud of Christine for expanding her literary capacity and filling her mind with more than pulsating meat pistons penetrating quivering mounds of love pudding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment